The El Alamein War Cemetery is located just 500 metres down the road (east) from the El Alamein War Museum. Entrance to the cemetery is gained through the Alamein Memorial (also referred to as the El Alamein War Memorial) – a large stone structure at the northern end of the cemetery featuring a series of arches. This is accessed via a 100 metre path leading down from the road down (south). The arches of the Alamein Memorial, one of which is pictured on the borders of the image here, make the El Alamein War Cemetery one of the most recognisable war cemeteries in Egypt.
The designer of the cemetery, the British architect Sir Hubert Worthingon, decided to work with the natural environment and thus the resulting cemetery blends in with much of the surrounding area around El Alamein. The rough, dry desert environment continues within the cemetery walls, with the addition of some carefully maintained plants.
The cemetery was unveiled by Field Marshal The Rt. Hon. Viscout Montgomery of Alamein on 24 October, 1954. It was Montgomery who took command of the Eight Army in August, 1943, and who led the Allied forces to victory during the Second Battle of El Alamein and the remainder of the Western Desert Campaign.
Image: The El Alamein War Memorial forms the entrance to the El Alamein War Cemetery.
Creator: Nathan Wise