Hadra War Memorial Cemetery is in the east of Alexandria city. The Cemetery is south of the Al Horaya (the dual carriageway to Aboukir) and it is close by to the University of Alexandria, running along the road Sharia Manara. Hadra Cemetery is located nearby the Chatby War Memorial and Military Cemetery, just a one kilometre walk, and is open to visitors Saturday through Thursday from 7.30 to 14.30.
As a port city, Alexandria was a busy and important site during the Great War. Before the Gallipoli campaign began the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force base was moved there from Murdros, making the city the camp and hospital centre for both the Commonwealth and France. Beyond the Gallipoli campaign, Alexandria continued to host various hospitals and served as a key point where the sick and wounded were transported.
Not long into the war it was realised that the Chatby Cemetery would not be able to hold the ever growing number of dead and so the Hadra War Memorial Cemetery was used from April 1916. Most of the men interred at Hadra died in hospitals based around Alexandria.
Like in the First World War, Alexandria was an important hospital centre in the Second World War. There were also camps, hostels, an anti-aircraft base, a communications centre and a military police headquarters set up in the area. The Hadra War Memorial Cemetery was used again in this war from 1941 onwards. There are 1705 Commonwealth graves from the First World War and 1305 from the Second World War interred here, including 115 Australian burials from both wars.
Image: Hadra War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria, looking north-west.
Creator: Nathan Wise